I read a study showing that women who ate dates in the 4 weeks before delivery significantly reduced the need for induction and intervention in labour. That’s a little research, but eating dates can’t hurt, right?
So I bought dates.
And they sat in my kitchen for a week, untouched.
I realized I needed something a little more exciting to get myself to eat dates (the women in this study consumed 6 dates per day). I had ridiculously sweet cravings for most of my pregnancy, so why not grab some dates and make them into brownies?
It didn’t take me long to go through the whole container of dates this way 🙂
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (I toasted mine before bringing out the spicier flavor)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa or cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp chocolate whey protein (I use Naked Nutrition)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of date water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Soak dates in hot water for 15 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon of date water. While the dates are soaking, toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until just set and fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a small loaf pan and press firmly until evenly distributed. Top with chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set.
And to help with an easier delivery… I’ll tell you what happened!