Need a Practical High School Graduation Gift?

We’ve got you covered. If you know of recent high school graduates, you should find out if they have a modest housing plan to allow their parents or guardians to make medical and financial decisions if they can’t afford it.

We can help you stay abreast of the latest news that impacts your everyday life. Subscribe to stay up to date. (To subscribe to our blog ).

With high school graduation season in full swing, it’s important to remember that at the age of 18, parents no longer have the right to make medical and financial decisions for their child should anything happen.

We always recommend that 18 year olds have simple housing planning documents, if they can’t afford one.

If your child goes to school and has an accident, you want to be able to talk to doctors and medical personnel about their care.

Unfortunately, sometimes accidents happen. It’s better to be prepared and not need these documents, than to scramble and ask a judge to get involved in your grown child’s medical care.

What documents should an 18 year old child have? We usually recommend that they have:

  • durable medical power of attorney,
  • HIPAA Release,
  • A durable financial power of attorney, and
  • Simple wish.

This will make things easier, if your child cannot speak on his own behalf.

Having these documents ready can eliminate potential problems, should any unforeseen incidents occur.

Plus, having this basic document is a great basis for future estate planning.

Let us know if you need basic housing planning documents for high school seniors or for yourself.

As always, contact us today to help you get the right paperwork or to update your current property package.

We publish important information every Wednesday and Friday. To have this important information sent directly to your mailbox,

Contact us today with your legal needs!